I did not want to base a post on the speculation earlier this week, but today it has been confirmed. From the Toronto Star:
The mandatory long-form census is back.
Just a day after taking office, the new Liberal government announced Thursday that the 61-question census form — axed by the Conservatives in 2010 — will be reinstated for the 2016 census.
Navdeep Bains, the newly named Minister of Innovation, Science and Development, confirmed the news to reporters on Parliament Hill, declaring that the country needed access to high quality data.
“Today, Canadians are reclaiming their right to accurate and more reliable information,” said Bains, the MP for Mississauga-Malton.
With the 2016 census, communities will “once again have access to high-quality data they require,” he said.
I, for one, am very pleased.