Thursday, June 04, 2015

Some assorted blog links


While I'm assembling some original material, I thought I'd point readers to some population-related blog links that appeared on my RSS feed in the past month or so.
  • Considering the Mediterranean migration crisis, Crooked Timber featured one essay arguing that European restrictionism is culpable for deaths, while the New APPS Blog praised the bravery of migrants.
  • The Dragon's Tales noted that immigration from China and India to the United States has surpassed that from Mexico.
  • The Everyday Sociology Blog considered, in the wake of the Nepali earthquake, the ill-regulated international market in birth surrogacy.
  • Kieran Healy noted how popular estimates of the composition of the American population are frequently quite wrong, going back to the errors of popular wisdom.
  • The Power and the Money's Noel Maurer noted that rates of childlessness among American women with post-graduate educations has plummeted. More discussion at the blog.
  • The Russian Demographics Blog had a whole slew of interesting posts, including looks at the changing composition of migrants from Russia and changing destinations and volumes of flows to and from the country, along with examinations of problematic data on HIV/AIDS in Russia and an old forecast of the epidemic.
  • Window on Eurasia reported on how one Muslim commentator in Russia thinks Russian Muslims should respond to the prospects of a Muslim majority in Russia. (I find it unlikely, and of note mainly as a case study of crude demographic boosterism.).

If you've suggestions as to new blogs I should follow, please, submit them--and any especially interesting posts--in the comments.

3 comments:

jemand said...

*Obviously* you know about https://abitmoredetail.wordpress.com/ hahaha

However, it doesn't look like it's linked or in blog roll here, and I know I was pretty excited several months back when it was linked here, and has provided hours of interesting reading since.

So I figured I'd speak up if there's anyone reading here who hasn't seen it yet, and would like regular collections of demography - and - other links, check out a bit more detail, & Randy's great links & summaries.

Randy McDonald said...

Thank you!

Do you have a blog?

jemand said...

Nope! But I do also like to follow NewSecurityBeat, they have some nice articles: http://www.newsecuritybeat.org/

I mostly just read and occasionally comment, perhaps someday I'll branch out and write, but not yet!